5.07.2011

Sports and snacks

It is bad enough that when you take your young child to a sport's game they are involved in that the snacks provided are highly processed and full of sugar.  Same with the drinks.  Prior to two of my children being diagnosed with CD and FM, I was okay with it.  What is one snack that isn't what I would necessarily feed them.  I am not a junk food mom, but I also am not a "no, you can't ever have it" mom either. 

So, after Cole and Sugar were diagnosed, we take our own snacks for them.  I don't expect them to understand or get their diets and I don't expect them to spend 6 or more bucks on a snack of six items.  Or, even to know what they can and can't have. 

What I do find frustration with is Sugar's diet and trying to explain that she can't have something.  Just a few weekends ago, a mom told me there was gatorade in the cooler and to make sure Sugar gets one because it is hot outside. 

Me:   She can't have it, thanks though for letting us know.
Her:  She can't?  It will give her the stuff back she is sweating out.
(can't help but take her tone as to her thinking I am a "mean" mom)
me:   she has fructmal and she can't have that
her:  oooooh.  hmmm. 

Sometimes I want to give up explaining.  They don't get it.  Maybe I should write up a letter at the beginning of school, beginning of sports events, or any other thing she is involved in and pass it out.  When I say she can't have it - it isn't because I am being a bitch, it is actually because her system cannot tolerate it.  I guess because she doesn't have an "allergy" that needs benadryl or epi pen it is hard to understand. 

As they hand out popsicles Sugar will tell them she can't have it.  They apologize and mention they should have asked her mom first, and of course, I have to go into the entire explanation again. But that isn't the entire issue.  Just because it says there is not HFCS in it doesn't mean she can still have it.  There are 20,000 (slight exaggeration) other issues in the ingredients that cause her symptoms as well.  And it isn't a "fad" diet or a decrease in her sugar that I am trying to accomplish, it is an avoidance of foods - even healthy to you or I - that she can't have. 

So please, when a parent tries to explain that their child can't have something don't assume the worst.  It could be for a very good reason!  Or, if that child says "no thanks," please don't pressure them to take it - they could very well be responsible for their own diet and know they can't have it.

No comments: